It is fairly simple to make your own Egyptian musk oil. Creating your own oil allows you to save money on expensive perfumes. You can develop your own personalised scent or make the oil and give it as a gift to friends and family members.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- 1/4 cup dried patchouli leaves
- 1/4 cup rose petals
- Canning jar with a lid, such as a Mason or Bell jar
- 1/2 cup of a base oil, such as olive or almond
- Large bowl, half-filled with very hot tap water
- Bottle with a top that can be secured
Combine the rose petals and patchouli leaves in the bowl with hot tap water.
Fill the canning jar with the mixture from the bowl. Leave about an inch of space between the top of the mixture and the rim of the jar. Pour the olive or almond oil into the jar. Secure the lid tightly and shake well.
Place the canning jar into the bowl of hot tap water. Remove when the water has cooled to room temperature.
Store the canning jar in a cool, dry place for 30 days, shaking it a few times a day.
Place the thin end of a funnel into the neck of a bottle. Line the funnel with the cheesecloth. Pour the contents of the canning jar into the bottle.
Discard the debris strained by the cheesecloth. Secure the bottle top tightly.
Tips and warnings
- Visit your local florist or grocery store and ask for old roses. Flowers that are wilted or more than a few days old usually get thrown away. Save even more money on this project by requesting a bunch of old roses.
- This oil can also be used as a massage oil.
- Do not ingest.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for