Whether you're buying your son or daughter his or her first Daisy BB gun or buying yourself an expensive air rifle for NRA competition, choosing the right air rifle is important. Getting the right air rifle depends greatly on the purpose for your gun. There are many applications for air rifle use. Getting the right rifle for the right task is your first step.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Determine what you will be doing with the air rifle. Is it for indoor air rifle competition? Is it for outdoor competition? Will you be using the air rifle for varmint hunting? Will it be used for small pest control? Is it merely for plinking cans in the back yard? These are all things which must be considered before investing too much money into an air rifle.
Research the different brands of air rifles. There are quite a few brands out there, such as: Crosman, Daisy, Airforce, Beeman, Benjamin & Sheridan, Winchester and Tech Force. Each type of rifle is best suited for a particular application. Remember, when talking about air rifles, these actually have rifling in the barrel; which makes them a rifle and not an air gun. A BB gun is an example of an air gun since it has a smoothbore barrel. Keep that in mind if you truly want a .22 caliber quality air rifle and not just a pellet gun.
Go to a local retailer, or buy your air rifle online. Make sure that you get the correct ammo for your rifle. Each type of ammunition has a specific function. There are four basic types of ammo for air rifles: wadcutter, for paper target competition; pointed, for field use and better penetration; hollow point for silhouette competition; and round nose, used when knock-down power is important.
Tips and warnings
- ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
- ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
- Air rifles are NOT TOYS! The same care and precautions used with firearms should also be used with any air rifle or air gun.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for