Tracking your packages with DHL is easy using their online system. Right from the DHL home page, you can track up to 25 packages quickly, easily and efficiently. You will need to know your tracking number, which can be found on your copy of the waybill or by using your reference number. You can also become a member of the DHL Web site to keep track of your shipments on a regular basis. Membership is free and it's easy to sign up.
Reference numbers track an entire shipment, which can be more than one package. You assign your reference number when you fill out the shipping information on the waybill at the time of sending. It is best to choose a unique and different reference number so that if you choose to track your shipment using this number, your results can be displayed quickly. If your reference number is not unique, then it will take longer to display your results. Try to be as specific as possible when choosing a reference number.
You can also request a copy of the delivery signature-however, this feature is only available for shipments made in the United States to the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Computer with Internet access
Locate your tracking number or reference number on your waybill or receipt.
Navigate to the DHL Web site (see Resources).
In the upper center of the screen, click on "Track," then "Track by number" or "Track by reference."
Enter up to 25 tracking numbers or one reference number and the shipment date range in the space provided, which is marked "Tracking number" or "Reference."
Click on "Track" to see the information about your package or shipment.
Tips and warnings
- Your tracking number will be either 10 or 11 digits long and can be found on your waybill.
- A reference number is an identifier that is assigned to the shipment by the sender when filling out shipping information on the waybill. It is usually a combination of letters and numbers. Using the reference number, you can track a group of shipments that share a reference number. The more specific and unique your reference number is, the more quickly you will see results displayed.
- At home shipments with DHL do not have signature service.
- When you are tracking online, you will see letters in the shipment status field. Here's what they mean: LD: Locally Delivered; FD: left at the Front Door; SD: left at the Side Door; BD: left at the Back Door; GAR: left at the Garage; LOF: left per Letter on File at station; and LPN: left per Signed Note or Attempted Delivery Notice.