“Anne of Green Gables” is a book written by Lucy Maud Montgomery in 1908. Over 100 years later it is still loved by children and adults worldwide and has sold more than 50 million copies. It is the story of red-headed orphan Anne Shirley who is mistakenly sent to the farm of Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert. She is talkative, imaginative and irrepressible. You can have fun creating your own Anne costume.
- Skill level:
Watch the “Anne of Green Gables” film and choose which costume you want to create. Anne begins as a schoolgirl and progresses to a young woman. Most of her costumes are sensible and modest but she did have a dress with puff sleeves that Matthew bought for her.
Begin your costume with a long red wig. Braid it into two plaits and tie the ends with ribbons. Choose a straw hat in an old-fashioned style.
Select an old-fashioned dress with a high neck and long sleeves in a sensible colour like blue, brown or grey. Wear a plain pinafore over the top.
Wear sensible old-fashioned shoes or boots in black and team them with black or dark-coloured tights.
Tips and warnings
- You can carry a carpet bag if you want to accessorise.
- Team up with a friend in a Gilbert costume.
- Practice talking like Anne does; be optimistic, use elegant phrases and exaggerate a lot.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for