How to cap a gas pipe for an oven

Written by frank luger Google
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to cap a gas pipe for an oven
The safe way to cap a gas pipe is through Gas Safe. (Jupiterimages/ Images)

According to the Gas Safe Register, you should only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to do gas work. You should not attempt to remove an oven and fit a cap to the pipe yourself. The Health and Safety Executive confirms this is how you should proceed. This is true for home or workplace gas jobs, say Gas Safe.

Skill level:


    Finding a Gas Safe registered engineer

  1. 1

    Click the “Gas Safe registered engineers” link in Resources. Read the text provided. As of April 2013, the first paragraph is headed: “What is a Gas Safe registered engineer?” The second is titled: “How do I know my gas engineer is qualified to do the work?” The third asks the question: “Why do I need to make sure my gas engineer is on the Gas Safe Register?” Paraphrasing this text could constitute a safety risk so you are best to read it thoroughly for yourself.

  2. 2

    Locate the yellow column on the right of the page. Under “Find a Gas Safe registered business in your area,” enter your postcode in the box. Click the “Find now” button.

  3. 3

    Enter the “captcha” code on the next page. This consists of two words. Click the “Find” button.

  4. 4

    Read the information on the results page. This includes the names and contact details of the registered Gas Safe engineers. It includes details of the services provided, such as “domestic” and “out of hours work.” It shows the gas type covered, such as “LPG” or “natural gas.” There is information about the area of work covered, such as “cooker,” “fire” and “pipe work.”

  5. 5

    Decide on a Gas Safe engineer who works on ovens and gas pipes, having considered all the information. Contact them in your chosen way. Tell the engineer you want to have a cooker removed and the gas pipe capped.

    Registering as a Gas Safe engineer

  1. 1

    Apply for probationary registration with Gas Safe if you are a newly qualified gas engineer or you were formerly registered with CORGI. See link in Resources. This helps ensure the integrity of the Gas Safe Register. As of April 2013, the cost is £365 plus VAT per engineer per year.

  2. 2

    Inform Gas Safe of all the gas work you carry out during your probationary period. They will inspect your work to ensure it meets their standards. The probationary period lasts for three months.

  3. 3

    Apply for full registration after a successful probationary period. You can do this in several ways. You can apply online, via telephone or by completing the renewal pack Gas Safe will send you.

Tips and warnings

  • Many gas-related accidents are caused each year by people who are not registered Gas Safe engineers.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.