Microsoft's free Photo Gallery software works with Windows 7 and Windows 8 and enables you to organise and edit the digital pictures stored on your PC. While it doesn't offer a full set of file management tools, you can drag and drop photos to move them into different folders. Both the folder containing the original pictures and the folder you want to move them to must be included in the Photo Gallery library for the feature to be available.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Launch Photo Gallery and select "File" then "Include folder." If the folders you'd like to move the pictures to and from are not already listed, click or tap "Add" and then pick out the relevant folders from your system. In each case select "Include folder" then click or tap "OK" to confirm.
Open the "View" tab and choose "Folder" to display the imported folders in the navigation pane on the left. Select the folder containing the images you'd like to move.
Select the pictures you want to move to another folder. To select multiple photos at once, hold down the "Ctrl" key while clicking, or tap in the tick box in the top left corner of each thumbnail.
Click, or tap, and than drag the images to another folder listed in the left-hand pane. Release the mouse button or your finger with the correct folder selected and the images will be moved. Open the destination folder to confirm the operation was successful.
Tips and warnings
- You can also use the cut and paste keyboard shortcuts to move the images between folders. With your images selected, press "Ctrl+X" and switch to the destination folder. Press "Ctrl+V" to paste the images into their new location. These same keyboard shortcuts work in the Windows File Explorer, which offers another alternative for moving your pictures around.
- Photo Gallery can group photos by date, by tag and by various other criteria. You'll find these options under the "View" tab. Even if you've changed the physical location of an image on disk, it's position in some of the other Photo Gallery views will not be altered.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for