The Hotbird group of satellites is one of the largest providers of free-to-air and paid satellite television and radio services in Europe. Hotbird transmits more than 2,000 free and subscription channels across the United Kingdom, Europe and parts of North Africa and the Middle East. To watch Hotbird satellite channels in the UK, you'll require a satellite dish pointing at the Hotbird satellite at 13 degrees east (13°E) in the sky and a connected satellite receiver. To view subscription channels, you'll also need to buy a valid viewing card from your preferred satellite pay-TV provider.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Turn the satellite receiver around to access the rear of the device.
Plug the incoming coaxial cable from the Hotbird dish into a free "Input" or "Antenna" jack on the back panel of the receiver box. You can usually skip this step if you have a multi-satellite system with Hotbird as one of the tuned satellites.
Switch on both the TV set and the satellite receiver. Tune the TV set to the correct output channel for the satellite receiver. Press the "AV" key or "Ext" key on your TV's remote control to find the correct channel.
Press "Menu" on the satellite receiver's remote control handset.
Select "Auto Tune", "Tuning", "Add Channels" or "Channel Scan" from the menu options. Scroll to and select this option by using the up arrow, down arrow and "Enter" or "Select" buttons on the remote control handset.
Select "Hotbird", "13°E" or "Hotbird 13°E" from the list of available satellites. On single satellite systems, the receiver will usually display only the "Hotbird" option. On multi-satellite systems, Hotbird will be one of several satellites listed. Select "OK" or "Scan" to scan the satellite for channels.
Wait for the satellite receiver to download the Hotbird channels. This can take up to ten minutes, because of the large number of channels available on Hotbird. Select "Save All" or "Save" to save the Hotbird channels. The receiver will add the Hotbird channels to its electronic program guide.
Tips and warnings
- Rescan your satellite receiver regularly to ensure it updates the electronic program guide with new and changed Hotbird channels.
- To watch Hotbird pay-TV services, insert a valid viewing card into the slot on the front panel of the satellite receiver. Subscription services available on Hotbird include BBC Entertainment, Nova, Sky Italia, Cyfra+ and the American Forces Network.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for