Rings are most commonly worn on the fingers of the hands but the thumbs are a good alternative if you've run out of room on your fingers or just want to be different. You might also consider wearing a thumb ring if you're independent and strong-willed; thumb rings are said to symbolise these traits in the wearer. They were traditionally associated with powerful people. Shakespeare, for example, mentioned aldermen wearing thumb rings.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Slip a ring of the appropriate size onto your thumb and slide it down as far as it will comfortably go.
Twist the thumb ring until you find a position that looks good and feels comfortable. If your ring has stones or a setting that protrudes, rather than being a simple flat band, you may find that it is more comfortable to twist the ring so that the protruding part is turned slightly toward the centre of your body instead of straight up. Your thumb is set on your hand at a different angle than your other fingers, so wearing a ring with the setting straight upas it would be on any other finger---might cause uncomfortable chafing between the ring and the part of your hand beside your thumb.
Wear the thumb ring as much as possible during the first few days. It may feel annoying or uncomfortable at first (though it should never be painful); but wearing it regularly will allow you to get used to the sensation quickly and you will soon stop noticing that you are wearing the ring.
Tips and warnings
- Visit a jewellery store and have your thumb professionally sized. Most jewellers will do this for free. This will help you wear a thumb ring of the appropriate size---neither loose enough to fall off nor tight enough to be uncomfortable and get stuck. Consider the size of your knuckle, which might be larger on your thumb than your other fingers, resulting in a need for a slightly larger ring.
- Some rings are specifically designed to be worn on the thumbs but you can wear nearly any ring as a thumb ring if it is the correct size.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for