Windows Defender is an anti-spyware application that detects and eliminates offending programs. Defender is minimally invasive, while offering real-time security against virtual threats. Occasionally, an attempt to update Windows Defender can result in a 0x80070002 error.
Other People Are Reading
Upon bootup, the following message may appear, "A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code: 0x80070002." The problem isn't limited to Windows Defender: For example, Windows Service Pack updates resulting in the message "An internal error occurred while installing the service pack" or "Installation was not successful" are also signs of a system experiencing error 0x80070002.
According to Microsoft, error 0X80070002 is related to changes made via Windows Update. When update files are incomplete or corrupted, the computer will register an error. The error may also be triggered when a change is made to the default security program or to the system drive letter.
Users may be able to correct this error by deleting the update or restoring the computer to the point before the changes were made. Microsoft then suggests downloading and reinstalling the updates. If reinstallation does not work, the error may be resolved by changing the drive letter or reinstating the previous security settings.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Instant Registry Fixes: How to Resolve Windows XP Error Code 0x80070002 Problem
- Microsoft Support: You Receive a "0x80070002" or "0x80070003" Error Code
- Microsoft Support: Error Code: 0x80070002" Error Message Cites License-Checking Issue
- Microsoft Support: How to Troubleshoot Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 Service Pack Installation Issues