Butea superba is an Asian tuber plant native to Thailand. The dried powder of the Butea superba root is a common native herbal remedy for erectile dysfunction. Existing research from India and Thailand show a high rate of efficacy and few side effects.
Other People Are Reading
Early research into the effects of Butea superba by Dr. Cherdshewasart Wichai showed that the powdered root is highly effective in relieving the symptoms of erectile dysfunction with no discernible adverse side effects in adult human males.
One rumoured side effect of taking Butea superba is that it causes breast enlargement in males. While Butea superba does contain phytoestrogens, there is no suggestion in any of the existing research that male breast enlargement is one of the adverse side effects of Butea superba.
Adverse Effects at Higher Doses
In 2008, Dr. Wichai published the results of a study on male rats fed differing doses of Butea superba extract for 90 days. The rats receiving high doses of the extract showed enlarged spleens, adverse changes in blood chemicals and lowered levels of testosterone.
Some gel formulations of Butea superba include a warning on the label about the possibility of skin rashes as an allergic reaction to the gel. This may be the result of other ingredients in the gel formula, however.
Blood Sugar and Cholesterol
Butea superba may have a positive effect on cholesterol and blood glucose levels. This has been shown most positively in preparations containing Butea monosperma, but may extend to Buttea superba.
You should not use Butea superba if you have had previous allergic reactions to herbal medicines or if you have been advised by a doctor to avoid sexual activity. Discuss your health and your decision to use Butea superba with your doctor or medical professional.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Maturitas; Androgen disruption and toxicity tests of Butea superba Roxb., a traditional herb used for treatment of erectile dysfunction, in male rats; Cherdshewasart Wichai et al; June 20, 2008.
- Asian J. Androl; Clinical trial of Butea superba, an alternative herbal treatment for erectile dysfunction; W. Cherdshewasart and N. Nimsakul; September 2003.
- St. Botanica Butea Gel