How to seal henna candles
Comstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images
Painting artwork onto a plain candle brings it from boring to beautiful. Henna designs add a rich, dark accent. To keep the henna in place, protect it from dust and make it smudge resistant, you can seal the candle after you have decorated it.
There are two main ways to seal henna decorated candles; use melted wax or a non-flammable spray sealant, depending on your preference.
Heat some beeswax or paraffin wax in a double boiler until it melts.
Hold the candle by its wick and slowly lower it into the wax until it reaches the top of the candle. Bring it out of the wax. Dip it a second time if you want. Each dip should only take a few seconds; holding the candle in any longer may melt or smudge the artwork. Just dip and remove. Wait five or 10 minutes between dips if you choose to do a second one.
Set the candle upright on a newspaper to dry. The candle should be ready to burn within an hour or two.
Place newspapers on your work surface. Hold the candle by the wick in one hand.
Apply two coats of sealant to the entire candle, excluding the wick. You can use a spray sealant or a liquid form. For the spray form, hold the can about 6 inches from the candle and evenly coat the candle. For the liquid form, apply a thin coat with a paintbrush or foam brush. Allow the sealant to dry between coats.
Set it on a newspaper to dry. Wait 24 to 48 hours before burning the candle to make sure the sealant dries completely. Gently touch the surface of the candle. If it is still tacky or sticky, allow it to dry longer.
- "The Complete Candlemaker": Norma Coney; 1997.
- "Step by Step Candle Making": Golden Press; 1972.
- Allow your henna artwork to dry thoroughly before applying sealant. This may take between 30 minutes and three hours, depending on the thickness of your henna artwork and the specific product you are using.
- Apply non-flammable sealants in a well-ventilated area. Also, burn candles that have been sealed with a water-based sealant in a well-ventilated area. This will help you avoid inhaling any fumes that may result from burning the candle.
- Comstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images