How to Make a Beauty Mark Lighter
George Doyle/Valueline/Getty Images
You look in the mirror and your attention is instantly drawn to your so-called beauty mark. You don't like the mark and when people talk to you, you feel as though they are looking at the dark-coloured mole or birthmark on your face.
There are simple home remedies you can do to lighten your beauty mark no matter where it is located.
Exfoliate your beauty mark daily. Scrub the area with a mild facial scrub or facial exfoliating sponge. By scrubbing the beauty mark, you slough off dead skin cells and promote regeneration of new skin cells.
Apply a skin lightening cream to the beauty mark daily. Avoid using the product on the skin surrounding your beauty mark. Use a skin bleaching product containing hydroquinone, as it is the only bleaching agent approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- You look in the mirror and your attention is instantly drawn to your so-called beauty mark.
- Avoid using the product on the skin surrounding your beauty mark.
Juice a lemon and apply the juice to your beauty mark. Lemon juice is naturally acidic and acts as a natural bleaching agent when applied daily to skin discolourations.
Camouflage the beauty mark with make-up. Spread a thin layer of full coverage foundation, in the colour of your skin tone, on your face. Avoid caking the make-up on your face in thick layers because it may crack and reveal your blemishes. Apply a cream concealer in the colour of your foundation over the beauty mark. Blend the concealer with the foundation to create a smooth base. Apply loose powder to set your make-up.
- Juice a lemon and apply the juice to your beauty mark.
- Apply a cream concealer in the colour of your foundation over the beauty mark.
- Wear sunscreen and avoid exposure to the sun because it promotes skin pigmentation and darkens moles.
- Consider a chemical peel if your entire facial skin contains a lot of hyperpigmentation. A chemical peel triggers your skin to peel so new tissue can grow. It removes hyperpigmentation, lines and wrinkles.
- Consult a dermatologist about your beauty mark. A dermatologist can give you advice and determine which remedy is best to lighten or completely remove the mark.
- Consult your doctor about laser removal. Laser removal is a painless, outpatient procedure that minimises the colour of the beauty mark or removes it completely.
Kimberly Caines is a well traveled model, writer and licensed physical fitness trainer who was first published in 1997. Her work has appeared in the Dutch newspaper "De Overschiese Krant" and on various websites. Caines holds a degree in journalism from Mercurius College in Holland and is writing her first novel.