How to Test Blood Iron Levels at Home
Chad Baker/Photodisc/Getty Images
Iron, a mineral that helps your body transport oxygen to your body's cells, produces a protein called haemoglobin. Haemoglobin, located in your red blood cells, carries oxygen to your muscles, tissues and other parts of your body.
Without iron, your cells will receive less oxygen and will be unable to function as they should. When your iron levels are low, you may experience an array of symptoms.
Note the colouring on your lips and beneath your fingernails. Low iron levels may cause your skin colouring to become pale.
Check your heart rate. Low iron levels may cause you to have heart palpitations and an irregular heartbeat.
- Iron, a mineral that helps your body transport oxygen to your body's cells, produces a protein called haemoglobin.
- Low iron levels may cause you to have heart palpitations and an irregular heartbeat.
Determine if you feel tired, fatigued, weak, dizzy, irritable, short of breath or depressed for long periods of time.
Determine if your hands and feet frequently feel cold when they should be warm.
Consult a medical physician. There are no home kits to test for iron deficiencies. Only a doctor can order the necessary lab test to accurately test blood iron levels.
- Low iron levels in the blood can be caused by a lack of nutrition or a more serious condition called anaemia. Consult a physician of you suspect you have low iron levels.
- Certain medications can cause the iron levels in your blood to drop. Always read the labels of any medication that is prescribed to you, understand their side effects and consult your physician.
- Self-diagnosing a condition can be very tricky. Many illnesses share many of the same symptoms. Consult a medical professional to provide quality advice and accurate diagnoses of any conditions you may experience.
Isaac McKinney has been writing since 2010. McKinney became a member of Demand Studios in July 2010. McKinney has an A+ certification for PC professionals and a Bachelors degree in information technology.