How to Get the Crystals Out of After Shock
candy sugar image by lefebvre_jonathan from Fotolia.com
After Shock is a strong, sweet liqueur. Because it is so full of sugar you often see sugar crystals forming at the bottom of the bottle. Getting these crystals out of the bottle is a simple task and provides a sweet snack.
The crystals consist of sugar, not alcohol, so they will not get you intoxicated although they retain a taste of cinnamon.
Leave your After Shock bottle with the top off for as long as possible. Some of the alcohol and water will evaporate, leading to a more concentrated sugar solution and more crystals. When ready, drain any remaining liqueur.
- After Shock is a strong, sweet liqueur.
- The crystals consist of sugar, not alcohol, so they will not get you intoxicated although they retain a taste of cinnamon.
Place the bottle into a bowl of hot water up to the neck for a couple of minutes. This softens the crystals where they meet the glass, and they will be looser and easier to dislodge.
Insert a long flat-headed screwdriver into the bottle and chip off the crystals. Use the wire for the hard-to-reach ones.
Turn the bottle upside down and shake the crystals out.
- If you simply want to clean the bottle, fill it with hot water and leave until the crystals dissolve. Then pour out the water.
- Never break the bottle to access the crystals. Broken glass and sugar crystals are hard to distinguish, and you risk internal injury by ingesting broken glass.
Judith Willson has been writing since 2009, specializing in environmental and scientific topics. She has written content for school websites and worked for a Glasgow newspaper. Willson has a Master of Arts in English from the University of Aberdeen, Scotland.