How to make rye bread with a bread maker
John A. Rizzo/Photodisc/Getty Images
Bread machines give you the ability to produce high-quality breads with little effort. Homemade rye bread tends to rise poorly, due to its low gluten content. By adding bread flour, to increase the gluten content, and using a bread machine, you can easily enjoy the taste of homemade rye bread.
If you prefer a darker rye bread, substitute whole wheat flour for half of the white flour.
Place the ingredients in the bread pan. Add ingredients in the order suggested by the bread machine's instruction manual. All ingredients should be at room temperature prior to baking, according to the University of Kentucky.
- Bread machines give you the ability to produce high-quality breads with little effort.
- By adding bread flour, to increase the gluten content, and using a bread machine, you can easily enjoy the taste of homemade rye bread.
Lower the bread pan into the bread machine. Program the bread machine for a basic bread and medium baking cycle. Start the bread machine and allow it to fully bake the rye bread. The machine will let the bread rise before baking it.
Remove the bread pan from the bread machine--wear oven gloves to do this. Turn the bread out of the pan and onto cooling racks or a counter top. Allow the bread to cool before serving.
- Lower the bread pan into the bread machine.
- Remove the bread pan from the bread machine--wear oven gloves to do this.
- Use only fresh yeast to ensure the successful rise of your rye bread. Older yeast is less active and may result in a flat, dense bread.
- Instead of olive oil, substitute 2 tbsp of unsalted butter. Butter gives the bread richer flavour than olive oil.
- For a lighter rye bread, increase the bread flour by 1/2 cup and decrease the rye flour to 1/2 cup.
- Bread flour contains a higher gluten content than all-purpose flour and helps the rye flour to rise and hold the bread's shape, according to the University of Kentucky.
- Rye flour is available at most grocery and health food stores. Choose the freshest available flour.
- Add 1/4 cup of onions for extra flavour, according to Hofstra University.
- Do not exceed the maximum volume of ingredients added to the bread machine that is recommended by the manufacturer.
Based in Colorado, Jacqueline Lerche has been writing alternative health, natural science and environment-related articles since 2009. Lerche holds a Bachelor of Science in biology and an Environmental Affairs Certification from Colorado State University.