We Value Your Privacy

We and our partners use technology such as cookies on our site to personalise content and ads, provide social media features, and analyse our traffic. Click below to consent to the use of this technology across the web. You can change your mind and change your consent choices at anytime by returning to this site.

Update Consent
Loading ...

How to change the name on my citizenship certificate

Updated March 23, 2017

A Certificate of Citizenship, also known as a Citizenship Certificate, is an immigration document issued to a naturalised U.S. citizen. This document acts as proof of U.S. citizenship status, which is helpful in applying for a U.S. passport, or demonstrating eligibility for federal employment. If you recently got married, or had your name changed through a court order, you must file Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document, with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Upon approval of your petition, you will receive a new Certificate of Citizenship displaying your new name.

Loading ...
  1. Visit USCIS home page to download Form N-565 (see Resources).

  2. Complete the N-565 form by typing directly into it, making sure to answer all questions. If a question does not apply to your case, type “N/A.”

  3. Print the completed N-565.

  4. Get two identical 2 x 2 inches colour photographs taken of you.

  5. Find the original copy of your Certificate of Citizenship displaying your old name.

  6. Make a copy of your marriage certificate, if your name change is based on marriage. If your name was changed by a court of law, make a copy of the court order.

  7. Pay the Form N-565 processing fee by making a check or money order payable to “U.S. Department of State.” As of April 2010, this fee is £247.

  8. Mail your completed Form N-565 and supporting documents via certified mail to the USCIS Service Center that has jurisdiction over your state of residence.

  9. If you live in OH, OR, SD, UT, WA, WI, WY, AK, AZ, CA, CO, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV or ND, mail your application to:

  10. DHS/USCIS Nebraska Service Center PO Box 87565 Lincoln, NE 68501-7565

  11. If you are from NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, SC, OK, PA, PR, RI, TN, TX, VA, VI, VT, WV, AL, AR, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, KY, LA,MS, ME, MD or MA, send your application to:

  12. DHS/USCIS Texas Service Center PO Box 851182 Mesquite, TX 75185-1182

  13. Warning

    USCIS reserves the right to request more evidence before a new Certificate of Citizenship is issued. In addition, USCIS may also request that you attend an interview.

Loading ...

About the Author

Eric Som has been writing professionally since 2002, contributing to various websites. He is certified through the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners. Som holds a Bachelor of Arts in English and a Bachelor of Laws from Handong Global University. He also has a Juris Doctor degree from an Ohio law school.

Loading ...