How to Overclock an Acer Aspire
The Acer Aspire is the name Acer gives its laptops. Laptops from the Acer Aspire line include netbooks, gaming laptops, multimedia laptops and more. All the laptops in the Acer Aspire line up are overclockable.
Since it is very hard to build laptops, let alone change processors for the specific motherboards provided with the laptops, overclocking is the best way to boost processing performance.
Power up your Acer Aspire laptop, and click "Delete" when the boot screen shows up (the screen that shows all the parts in your computer in a list and in black and white colours). This will access the BIOS of your Acer Aspire laptop.
Go to the main menu of the BIOS and select the "Advanced Tools." Click on the "CPU Multiplier" tool.
- The Acer Aspire is the name Acer gives its laptops.
- Go to the main menu of the BIOS and select the "Advanced Tools."
When you open the CPU Multiplier, you will see many different values, such as 5x, 6x, and more. Select the number that is one step above your current level. Click "F10" on the upper right corner of your keyboard, and then press the "Reset" button.
Download Prime 95 from the site provided in the references. Install the program and let it run on your Acer Aspire for a few minutes. Now run the "Torture Test" on Prime 95 to make the processor work at full capacity.
If your Acer Aspire turned off while Prime 95 was running, the processor in your Acer Aspire is not suitable for overclocking. Reset the values in the CPU Multiplier, click "F10," and restart your laptop.
- When you open the CPU Multiplier, you will see many different values, such as 5x, 6x, and more.
- Reset the values in the CPU Multiplier, click "F10," and restart your laptop.
If your laptop did not shut down during the Prime 95 test, go back to the CPU multiplier and raise the multiplier one level higher. Click "F10" and then press the "Reset" button. Redo this process until your Acer Aspire turns off. When it does, go to the CPU Multiplier, set the multiplier to the last stable value, click "F10," and press the "Reset" button.
- Karol Harmata MD, Computer Engineering, Illinios Institute of Technology (IIT)
- MajorGeeks: Prime 95 Download
- The higher you raise the processor speed, the hotter the motherboard becomes. Once the motherboard reaches a certain temperature, it shuts down to stop any components from burning up. It is highly recommended to get a good cooling pad for your Acer Aspire if you are going to overclock.
Ryan Casima is a student at the Illinois Institute of Technology and is going to major in bioengineering. He has been featured on various websites as a cardio-fitness expert. Casima has studied human anatomy, body function and medicine in general since 2009.