How to seal in glitter
Seal in glitter used on craft projects to prevent the glitter from falling or rubbing off of the project. By sealing in the glitter on your finished project, you will preserve your work for an extended amount of time. Use techniques to seal in glitter on store-bought items to protect your investment.
Hang or lay the glittered item on newspaper in a well-ventilated area.
Shake the can of spray-on clear acrylic coating according to the directions listed on the can.
Use short bursts and spray in a side-to-side motion to cover the entire surface of the glittered item.
- Seal in glitter used on craft projects to prevent the glitter from falling or rubbing off of the project.
- Use short bursts and spray in a side-to-side motion to cover the entire surface of the glittered item.
Allow the clear acrylic coating to dry completely, then apply a second coat to the item.
- When sealing glitter located in detailed areas, use a liquid glaze and apply over glitter with a paint brush. Allow the glaze to dry completely and apply a second coat if necessary to completely seal the glitter in place.
- Multiple layers of clear acrylic spray will not only seal in glitter but will give your item a glossy look. To avoid your glittered piece from looking glossy, purchase an acrylic coating that has a matt finish.
- The spray-on acrylic coating does not make your glittered item weather-resistant. Items hung outdoors should be placed in an area that is sheltered from the weather to prevent damage to your item.
Heather Marlman is a freelance writer with more than 10 years of experience. Her articles have appeared in print in the Southern Indiana newspapers "The Banner-Gazette," "The Leader," "The Giveaway" and "The Washington County Edition" as well as online at various websites.