How to Decorate a Master Bedroom With Bay Windows
Bay windows can be the design focal point of a master bedroom and are viewed as an asset to a home. Bay windows typically allow a lot of light into a room, depending on their architectural positioning.
They are a valuable addition to a master bedroom because not only are they a prized design element, but they also offer the opportunity for a functional seat or additional storage. Decorating a master bedroom with bay windows is an opportunity to highlight the most positive feature of the room.
Allow the option of privacy for the master bedroom by choosing a window treatment for the bay window. Roman shades or draperies on rods designed specifically for bay windows offer privacy when needed. Draw the window treatments to let light in when desired.
- Bay windows can be the design focal point of a master bedroom and are viewed as an asset to a home.
Add a window seat to the bay window as a place for reading, lounging or as an additional seat for everyday tasks such as sitting down to put on shoes. Coordinate window seat cushions with fabrics and materials in the room. A window seat for a bay window will cosy up a master bedroom.
Use the under windowsill space of a bay window as storage. Remove the window seat cushion to reveal a top that opens. Store blankets, linens and pillows in the seat. Design storage in the form of cabinets under the bay window.
- Add a window seat to the bay window as a place for reading, lounging or as an additional seat for everyday tasks such as sitting down to put on shoes.
- Use the under windowsill space of a bay window as storage.
Dress the window seat or sill. Use decorative pillows to accent the fabric and colour scheme of the master bedroom. This is an opportunity the make the design of the room complete and stand out. For bay windows without seats, dress the bay window sill up with plants, flowers and objects of interest, such as a sculpture or pottery.
- A bay window may be the main area of interest in a master bedroom, but be sure to relate the design of the window to the rest of the room.
- Plans for window seat construction are readily available if you choose to construct a window seat for the bay window on your own.
Kristin Russo has been freelance writing for three years in New York City. Russo regularly writes for Nybarfly and has contributed numerous nightlife and restaurant reviews to Metromix.com. She has acquired an AAS degree from the New York School of Interior Design and has experience working with professional interior designers.