A clogged sink can cause frustration if you don't have a commercial drain cleaner on hand. Moreover, drain cleaners can harm the environment, and are often expensive. Instead of purchasing a drain cleaner, you can make your own using common items found around your home.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Small saucepan
- ½ cup baking soda
- ½ cup vinegar
- ½ cup salt
Dry off the area around the sink drain.
Boil 2 cups of water.
Pour ½ cup of baking soda into the drain.
Add ½ cup of vinegar to the drain.
Pour the boiling water down the drain. If the sink still appears clogged, then use salt and water to help remove grease buildup.
Add ½ cup of salt to 4 liters of cool water.
Stir until the salt dissolves into the water.
Place the solution on the stove top until it begins to steam. Do not bring the solution to a boil.
Pour the salt solution down the drain.
Tips and warnings
- Never pour boiling water down plastic pipes. Instead heat the water and remove it just before it begins to boil.
- Do not combine vinegar with a commercial drain cleaner; a chemical reaction will produce dangerous fumes.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for