Video transcription

Hello, my name is Dr. Hans Delfo, doctor of chiropractic from Los Angeles, California, and this video outlines how to treat a ruptured disc. An intervertebral disc is composed of a liquid center called the nucleus pulposus and is surrounded by a tougher outer shell made of annular fibers. A disc bulge or herniation occurs when the liquid center protrudes through some of the tougher dryer shell. As we age, the disc can dry out and decrease in size which makes it more prone to herniation and injury. As a disc bulge or herniation occurs, it can put pressure on a nerve root, cause muscle spasm, cause pain and tenderness in the area. The most common sites for a herniated disc are the neck area or the low back. These can be caused by severe trauma such as accidents, sports injuries or slips and falls or it can be a culmination of many micro traumas throughout the years. It is important to see a doctor of chiropractic if you suspect that you have a herniated disc or disc bulge. A doctor of chiropractic is a neuromuscular expert and is trained to evaluate herniated or ruptured discs. What you can expect is an accurate history, an in-depth examination to determine the site and severity of a disc bulge and herniation. Nonsurgical treatments for a herniated disc or disc bulge may include adjustments to correct any alignments of the spine or pelvis, therapies such as ultrasound, stretching, ice or posture analysis to correct any supporting structure or soft tissue problems that may be occurring. One more nonsurgical treatment for a ruptured or bulging disc that your chiropractor may recommend is spinal decompression. This is a special table which is designed to put traction to the spine to pull that liquid center back into the middle of the disc. Ask your chiropractor if this treatment can help you in your condition. My name is Dr. Hans Delfo, and those are some of my recommendations for treatment of a ruptured disc.