The key to turning the right shoulder correctly out is to turn it at the angle of your spine. Be sure your right should turns correctly with tips from a professional golf instructor in this free video on golf swings.
Hello, my name is Conan Elliott and I'm Director of Instruction here at Camas Meadows Golf Club in Camas, Washington. Today we're going to talk about how to turn the shoulder, the right shoulder out of the way correctly in the golf backswing. The materials you need for this is basically with a golf club, is all you would need. So, but remember that when we set up to a golf ball, we don't stand vertically, so we don't turn level. We tilt at the hips, so that sets my spine on an angle. Here's my spine, now there's my spine. So, I want to turn my shoulder to match that spine line. I don't want to level my shoulder out and I don't want my right shoulder to go up. I just want it to turn on that angle. So, if I have the feeling of turning my shoulders, but I keep my spine angle there, then my shoulder turns correctly out of the way. One of the biggest problems is, is when you get back people have a tendency to stick their elbow out. When that elbow goes out it makes your shoulder go up. So, we want to feel like we keep the elbow down and let the shoulder turn. So, my spine stays the same. A couple good ways to practice that is to put a club behind your back like that, behind your neck, just let your arms hang naturally, get your posture so your back is straight and you're tilted. Now, when you turn the golf club should be pointing down toward the golf ball and as I turn the other way, my golf club toward the golf ball. If I have leveled out, my club levels out and if I tilt too much my club points down at the ground. So, I want it to match my spine line. Another good way to practice that is to hold your hips very still, cross your shoulders, cross your arms, and touch your shoulders and learn to turn, keeping your spine there, turn my shoulders but I've kept my spine here. I didn't level out. This is Conan Elliott, and that's how to correctly turn right shoulder out of the way on the backswing.
- How to Hit Golf Ball With a Draw
- How to Hit a Golf Ball Lower
- How to Hit a Golf Ball With Irons
- How to Hit Down on a Golf Ball
- How to Hit a Fade in Golf
- How to Hit a Golf Ball Higher
- How to Hit a Golf Ball Straight Every Time
- How to Hit a Golf Ball Farther
- How to Turn the Right Shoulder Correctly Out of the Way During the Golf Back Swing
- How to Repeat a Good Golf Swing
- How to Improve My Golf Swing
- How to Keep Knees Flexed in the Golf Swing
- What Should the Arms Do in a Golf Swing?
- Basics of a Golf Swing
- Golf Swing Problems
- How to Create Lag in a Golf Swing
- Slowing a Golf Back Swing
- How to Increase Swing Speed in Golf
- How to Perform a One-Piece Takeaway Golf Swing
- How to Stop Blocking Shots in a Golf Swing