Grants for Social Housing

Updated March 23, 2017

Many grants are available for social housing. Social housing has many different names, depending on the type of social housing that it is. The "Section 8" program has, in some states, been replaced with the "Choice Neighborhoods" home vouchers. The goal of all of these grant programs are to provide quality and affordable homes to former public housing or to income-limited residents, once separated from mainstream society, and to migrate them into the whole society.

Urban & Suburban Housing Grants

There are six categorical federal grant funding programs for residents living in urban and suburban areas in America., all under the Housing Choice Program administered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). They are: The Family Self-Sufficiency grant, the Mainstream grant, the Family Unification Program, Certain Development, Designated Housing, and Rental Assistance for Non-elderly Persons with Disabilities. *ROSS (Resident Opportunities and Self-Sufficiency) programs are competitive grants for those who want to help provide services to public housing residents, such as enhancements to independent living for seniors and the disabled, and improvements to overall quality of life for public housing residents.

Tribal Housing Grants

The Indian Community Development Block Grant (or ICDBG) is a program that provides eligible grant applicants with direct funding to rehabilitate housing, build community facilities, and develop community and agricultural projects on tribal lands. The Indian Housing Block Grant (or IHGB) is for federally recognised Indian tribes. Funds are used to develop homes, assist developers, to help with crime prevention and security, and to create solutions for affordable housing issues. It is administered by the Office of Native American Programs (ONAP). (see Resources below)

Rural Housing Grants

The United States Department of Agriculture helps to develop housing with grants targeted at the construction and renovation of rural multi-family housing complexes. Those who may apply for these grants are local and state governments, non-profit groups, associations, non-profit private corporations and cooperatives, and Native American groups. The Mutual Self-Help Technical Grant (MSHT) assists homeowners with building their own properties (called "sweat equity"). Non-profits may also receive these funds for salaries, office expenses, and rent to provide assistance to homeowners enrolled in the MSHT program. The Farm Labor Housing Loan and Grant program provides capital financing for developing housing for domestic farm labourers, including buying, building, improving, or repairing housing for farm workers. Housing preservation grants are also available from the USDA for sponsoring organisations that help with repairs and rehabilitation of low and very low income housing.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Renee Greene has been writing professionally since 1984 when she began as a news clerk for "The Columbus (Ga.) Ledger-Enquirer." She has written nonfiction books and a book of Haikus. She holds an associate degree from Phillips Junior College and is an English major at Mesa (Ariz.) Community College.