Adaptation Courses for Nurses

Updated November 21, 2016

Once a nurse becomes certified in her own country, she might want to venture to another country and test her nursing skills there. Some countries offer better wages than others, and some countries need nurses and have more job openings available. Usually certified nurses can take some sort of adaptation course and pass an exam in order to receive the green light to work in another country. Each program varies from the other, and some limitations apply.

UK Overseas Nurses Programme

Nurses who would like to transfer and work in the UK must first pass an English language exam and then undertake the Overseas Nurses Programme. The program is run by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) and consists of 20 protected learning days, which cover topics such as the UK as a multicultural society, the structure of the National Health Service and social care services, the changing health care environment and more. Then, the NMC will decide how long the nurse will need supervised clinical practice, which will either total three, six or nine months.

Adaptation in Australia

Australia is currently accepting international nurses from countries in Asia, such as India and the Philippines. Once these nurses pass an English language course and receive their work visas, they can join any university or hospital for an adaptation program. Depending on their status and experience levels, they will be placed in a three-month, six-month, one-year or longer program to adapt to the culture and health care facilities in Australia. The course will end with a certification, and then the nurse may look for a full-time job and receive a permanent citizenship.

U.S. Adaptation Courses

To become a certified nurse in the U.S., the international nurse first needs to send numerous documents to a state's Board of Registered Nursing (BRN), such as college transcripts, proof of RN permit, a criminal background check and more. Each candidate must pass an English language exam and qualify for an Interim Permit. Once the BRN receives all of the necessary documents, the person needs to pass the computerised NCLEX (National Council Licensure Examination) exam, given by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN). Once the person is accepted, she can begin searching for hospitals that offer adaptation courses.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author