Produced by Proctor & Gamble, Febreze is a household odour eliminator and freshener. It was introduced to the North American market in 1988. Developed in England, it is now sold in Asia, New Zealand, Asia and Australia. Since its introduction, several forms of the famous brand have been added to the line, including scented candles and plug-in oils.
Other People Are Reading
The warning label advises against inhaling because it could be fatal. It also advises that in the event of contact with the eye to rinse immediately. It warns that hard surfaces could become slippery, so avoid slipping on the chemical and falling. It also says not to expose the chemical to fire or heat. Other than these basic warning, Proctor & Gamble has assured the public that its product is safe to use in the household.
Environmental Working Group (EWG) has independently tested Febreze. Its toxicology report claims that Febreze contains several chemicals that can be extemely harmful not only to the environment but also to your health. According to EWG, Febreze contains 89 air contaminants, including acetaldehyde, propylene glycol, limonene and methyl pyrrolidone ethylacetate, which is toxic to the brain and nervous system. These contaminants are linked to cancer, are toxic to the reproductive system and cause allergies.
Is It Safe for Pets?
There have been a lot of questions surrounding Febreze's safety with respect to animals. The Internet is rampant with reports about pets poisoned by Febreze. As of now, there is no strong evidence on which to base such a conclusion. The American Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has issued a statement saying its toxicologists believe that animals are safe in the presence of Febreze. Caution around birds has been advised because they tend to be more sensitive to such products than most animals.
It appears that there is an ongoing investigation of Febreze by various agencies, but there is no concrete and consistent information at the present time that suggests normal use of the product is hazardous. As with all household products, read the label thoroughly and take proper precautions. Use gloves when working with chemicals, keep them away from the skin and eyes and be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after use. If you have babies, young children or pets that you suspect might be extra-sensitive, remove them from the area before you use the product and keep them away for several minutes.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for