A tasty potato salad is the perfect addition to any summer meal, particularly at a barbecue. The following recipe serves six.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 5 hard-boiled eggs -- 4 diced, 1 sliced (for garnish)
- 1.35 kg (3 lb) russet potatoes
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) mayonnaise
- Red or green peppers
- Yellow or red onions
- Cider vinegar
- Celery seeds
- Sweet pickles
- Salad bowl
- Chef's knives
- Cooking pot
- Chopping board
- Wooden spoons
Boil whole, unpeeled potatoes 15 minutes, or until just tender. Don't overcook the potatoes or they will fall apart when you cut them.
Peel and dice the potatoes while they are still warm.
Add mayonnaise and diced eggs and stir until potatoes are moist.
Add salt and pepper to taste, plus any of the following: 100 g (1/2 cup) chopped sweet or dill pickle (or pickle relish); 100 g (1/2 cup) celery, chopped fine; 5 g (1 tsp) celery seed; 15-30 g (1 or 2 tbsp) Dijon mustard; 30 g (2 tbsp) chopped parsley; 100 g (1/2 cup) yellow or red onion, chopped fine; 100 g (1/2 cup) seeded and diced cucumber; 100 g (1/2 cup) red or green pepper, chopped fine.
Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
Place finished salad in a large salad bowl and garnish with sliced egg, chopped parsley and paprika.
Refrigerate or keep on ice until ready to eat.
Tips and warnings
- If you use raw onions in your potato salad, limit the amount to about 100g (1/2 cup), and chop the onions very fine.
- For a tangier salad, mix the warm, diced potatoes with 60-80ml (2 to 3 tbsp) cider vinegar, and then mix with the other ingredients.
- Add more mayonnaise if the salad seems too dry.