Many professional bartenders and restaurant cooks make what are known as display props to show customers what their menu selections actually look like. This can be done for all kinds of food and drinks. Bartenders can make drink props for their signature drinks or for the most popular drinks that they sell. Some of these drinks are made with foam. You can make a fake foam drink for a display prop in no time just like the pros do.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Floral resin kit
- Powdered drink mix
- Plastic cup
- Stirring stick
- Plastic cocktail glass
Purchase a floral resin kit at a craft store where floral craft supplies are sold. The kits contain resin, a clear liquid plastic, and a mixing agent that causes the plastic to harden after it has set for a period of time. Simply add the two chemicals together in a plastic cup and stir with a small stirring stick until the mixture is the consistency of a light syrup.
Pour a little more than half of the mixture into a cocktail glass or any drink prop glass of your choice. You can replicate any type of drink you want by adding the appropriate coloured powdered drink mix to the mixture. Stir thoroughly after adding the powdered drink mix then set aside to harden.
Add about 1 to 2 tbsp of cornflour to the remaining resin mixture depending on how thick you want the foam to be. Stir thoroughly and set aside.
Retrieve the prop cocktail glass. By this time, the resin mixture should have hardened a little. Pour the resin mixture with cornflour over the fake cocktail in the cocktail glass to create the illusion of foam, and let it stand for 24 hours.
Tips and warnings
- You can use a Popsicle stick as your stirring stick.
- For best results, try to work quickly with the resin before it hardens.
- For the powdered drink mix, you can use Kool-Aid, lemonade or iced tea mixes to get the colour you want.
- Read and follow all instructions that come with the floral resin kit and observe any safety warnings.
- If the substance hardens before you mix in the powdered drink mix or cornflour, you will have to start over with a new floral resin kit.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for