A lineman electrician installs and maintains the networks that supply power to businesses and residences. Lineman electricians can install and maintain multi-state power grids or local utility systems. No matter which type of system the lineman electrician works with, he is subjected to a high amount of risk due to his exposure to high-voltage electricity. General knowledge of how to safely work with electricity as well as knowing how to perform specific job functions as a lineman electrician are skills that the individual must acquire to become successful in this position.
- Skill level:
Possess a high school diploma or a general equivalency diploma as the minimum education requirement. Have a basic knowledge of algebra and trigonometry. Possess good reading and writing skills. A good driving record, as well as the physical capability to lift up to 22.7kg., the ability to distinguish colour and work in confined spaces is essential.
Contact employers in the area you wish to work to find out the requirements to obtain a lineman electrician's position. Some employers will require a formal apprenticeship or successful completion of training classes in connection with the job. The training requirements could take up to five years.
Apply for lineman electrician positions for which you meet the qualifications. Fulfil all of the requirements of the job, which may require on-the-job training, completion of classroom courses or an apprenticeship.
Tips and warnings
- You will likely work as part of a team, so the ability to get along well with others is necessary to your success.
- Community colleges offer courses in electricity. Some even offer 2-year degrees in electricity or related fields. While this is often not required for this type of position, it may be helpful to you when applying for jobs or performing job functions.
- If you are not mechanically inclined, a lineman electrician position may not be the best choice for you.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for