Fondant is a thick dough used in cake decorating. Unlike frosting, which has a one-dimensional feel, fondant lets you make characters, ribbons, bows and other three-dimensional objects. Adding a small amount of gel food colouring turns the ordinary white fondant into bright colours suitable for wedding cakes, birthday cake and any other special occasion cakes. Making silver fondant takes a little more work, but gives the cake an elegant feel.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- White fondant
- Cling film
- Wood toothpicks
- Black gel food colouring
- Edible pearl dust
- Small brush
Dip your hand into the fondant container and remove the dough. Roll it between your hands, warming up the dough and making it soft. Lay a piece of cling film on the counter, twist the fondant into a round shape and set it on the cling film.
Press your thumb into the centre of the fondant, creating a small dent. Dip a wood toothpick into the black gel food colouring, coating the end with the colour. Press the toothpick against the dent in the fondant.
Knead the fondant by pulling the top up and pressing it into the centre. Keep kneading the fondant, distributing the colour evenly throughout.
Examine the fondant closely and add more black food colouring to increase the darkness of the fondant. If you need more colour, use a second toothpick and dab the colour against the top and knead again.
Cover your cake with fondant and brush edible pearl dust over the top. The pearl dust has a slight shimmer that picks up the grey tones of the fondant, making it look silver.
Tips and warnings
- For a more three-dimensional silver tone, add a small amount of the pearl dust to the fondant when you add the colouring.
- Gel food colouring is highly concentrated and stains most surfaces. Using the cling film keeps the colour from touching your counters.
- If the black food colouring isn't mixed properly, then it may have a slight green tinge. Add a small amount of purple or blue colouring to cut back on the green tone.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for