A fingerprint reader is an option on several Dell Latitude laptops from the older D420 to the later D830 as an added measure of security. Additionally, Dell now makes an external USB fingerprint reader for the same purpose. The fingerprint reader needs the biometric coprocessor software to operate. The driver can be downloaded from Dell's website, and it works with all Latitude laptops equipped with a fingerprint reader. An easy way to visually identify this option is to see what appears as a translucent square touchpad between the two bottom mouse buttons on the Dell Latitude D630.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Dell biometric software
Run the integrated tutorial. Install it from the Dell CD or download the driver from the Dell website.
Select the fingerprints to enrol in the Wave Embassy® Trust Suite (ETS) security software.
Perform each identifying fingerprint match three times. The software allows registration of up to 21 fingerprints from five different people.
Reboot the D630, and log in with the swipe of a registered finger to your Microsoft Windows operating system.
Tips and warnings
- Dell Latitude D630 computers equipped with a fingerprint scanner include a free copy of the basic DigitalPersona software pre-installed.
- You can also use the pre-boot authentication, which you can configure to require a password, smartcard or biometric information from the reader as an added security measure. This protects the system at the power-on level and counters data theft.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for