Creating a paper mache tissue box cover is a creative way to transform an old pile of newspaper into something purposeful. Homemade paper mache tissue box covers also make excellent get-well-soon gifts. Create your own artistically designed tissue box covers out of paper mache.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- 1 empty standard size tissue box (or similarly shaped box)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups water
- Acrylic paint
Cover the work area with old newspaper to make the cleanup easier.
Cut away the side flaps of the empty box with scissors.
Make an oval opening on the top portion of the box.
Tear strips of clean newspaper. Rip with the natural grain of the paper.
Pour 2 cups flour and 2 cups water into a bowl. Stir with a spoon until the flour is dissolved.
Drag the torn pieces of newspaper through the flour and water mixture. Place the wet newspaper on the box. Allow the paper to dry for 2 to 3 days.
Paint the tissue box using a paintbrush and acrylic paint. Allow the paint to dry.
Tips and warnings
- Add additional decorations, like ribbon, glitter or buttons, to create a more eye-catching piece of artwork.
- Wait for paper mache to dry before painting.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for