When you boot your computer, a small program known as the BIOS is the first thing to load. The BIOS contains a list of all the storage media installed on your computer. By default, your Acer Aspire 5515 will always boot from the hard drive. If you have more than one hard drive installed, the Aspire will boot from the primary drive. You can change the boot drive if you like, and you can configure the Aspire 5515 to boot from a flash drive by adjusting the BIOS settings.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Plug your flash drive into an available USB port on your Acer Aspire.
Click the "Start" menu in the lower left corner of your desktop. Click the "Restart" option.
Tap the "F2" key as the Acer Aspire 5515 boots.
Press the "Right Arrow" key until the "Boot" entry is highlighted.
Press the "Down Arrow" key until the "USB HDD" entry is highlighted.
Press "F6" until "USB HDD" is at the top of the boot priority list.
Press "F10" to exit, then press "Enter" to save your changes. Your Acer Aspire will reboot, loading the operating system from the flash drive.
Tips and warnings
- To resume booting from the primary hard drive, simply repeat the above steps, go to the Boot Device menu and select the hard drive.
- If the operating system on the flash drive is not formatted properly, you won't necessarily receive an error message when the computer boots. Instead, your Aspire will try to boot from whatever drive is listed next in the boot sequence. The most likely scenario is that it will boot from the hard drive.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for