Strawberries are a naturally sweet berry. However, if purchased unripe or out of season, you may discover that strawberries lack sweetness. Sweetening them with sugar seems like a natural option, however a lot of people are trying to cut sugar out of their diet. You can use an array of healthy options to sweeten strawberries, such as using natural sweetening techniques, or adding sweeteners and serving them with other sweet fruits in a variety of combinations. (See Resources 1, 2, 3 and 4; References 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5)
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Dried dates
- Whipped cream
- Milk or yoghurt
- Bananas and other berries
- Natural sweeteners honey, maple syrup, agave syrup or barley malt
Wash a cup of strawberries and place them in a bowl filled with water. Add 1 tsp of salt to the bowl and let the strawberries sit for 30 minutes. Drain and serve.
Combine strawberries with dried fruits and nuts to sweeten and enhance their flavour. Serve chopped strawberries with a handful of chopped dried dates and walnuts. Add 1 tbsp of whipped cream and serve. Dates are an exceptionally sweet natural sweetener that enhances the sweetness in the strawberries.
Prepare a strawberry smoothie. Blend strawberries in a mixer or blender with sweet fruits such as bananas and other berries, milk or yoghurt.
Sweeten whole or chopped strawberries with natural sweeteners. Choose from naturally derived sweeteners such as honey, maple syrup, agave syrup or barley malt. Pour any of these sweeteners according to your preference over the strawberries before serving.
Tips and warnings
- Retain the sweet flavour of strawberries by washing them just before serving.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- My Mommy Manual: How To Make Naturally Sweetened Strawberry Delight; February 2009
- Diabetes-Diet.org: Puddings And Sweet Courses
- University Of California; Strawberries: Safe Methods To Store, Preserve, And Enjoy Fruit; Linda J. Harris and Elizabeth Mitcham; April 2007
- The Perfect Dessert: Mango Pulp Dessert Recipes; Andy C; October 2006
- Smoothie-Recipes: Strawberry Smoothie Recipes