Duplicate photos can take up a serious amount of space on your hard drive, causing your computer to work slower and freeze on occasion. Duplicates usually end up on your computer as a result of plugging in the same digital camera or memory card twice without erasing the pictures on the camera from the last upload. There is a simple way you can get rid of these excess images without having to manually sort through all of your photos.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Internet connection
Download picture management software that can remove the images for you. There are several programs you can use, such as Picasa, Visipics and DupliFinder.
Open the program. Import all of your picture folders.
Use the program's duplicate picture finding tool. If you have trouble finding this option, open your web browser and search for tutorials on how to use the duplicate finding tool in your particular program.
Delete all the duplicate photos.
Removing Duplicate Photos
Tips and warnings
- If you want to protect your photos from a potential hard-drive crash, cut and paste the duplicates onto a storage device, such as a CD or flash drive, instead of deleting them.
- When deleting duplicate photos, keep one copy of each photo. Some programs, such as Picasa, display all copies of a photo, including the original, so don't delete every single copy right away.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for