A baby's christening day is a time for friends and family to celebrate the baptism of your child and join together to pledge their support in raising your child in the church. Following the religious ceremony, most families have a reception at the church building or at a nearby home. You don't need to serve an elaborate meal at the reception; cake, coffee and punch are perfect for a celebratory gathering after the christening. Cupcakes are generally easier to serve and eat than a large cake, and you can decorate each cupcake with different designs or use the same design to decorate them all.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- White icing
- Blue or pink food colouring
- Frosting spatula
- Pastry bag
- Fine decorating tip
- Small star-shaped decorating tip
Reserve about 1/4 of your white frosting in a bowl.
Mix a few drops of red or blue food colouring into the remaining 3/4 of the white frosting. Your goal is to make a light pink or blue colour, depending on whether the christening was for a boy or girl. Continue adding additional food colouring and mixing thoroughly until you achieve the desired colour.
Spread a layer of pink or blue icing on each cupcake with a frosting spatula. Try to smooth it out as much as possible so you have a flat surface to decorate.
Spoon some of the white frosting you reserved into a pastry bag fitted with a fine tip.
Apply gentle and constant pressure to the pastry bag to squeeze the icing out and write the child's name across the top of each cupcake. If the child's name is too long to fit on the cupcake, write his nickname or simply leave the name off.
Draw the outline of a cross in the lower centre of each cupcake. This symbol emphasises the religious significance of the christening day.
Attach a small star-shaped tip to the pastry bag. Make small star-shaped dollops of frosting around the outside rim of each cupcake. You can either make the dollops touch each other or leave up to 1/2 inch between them.
Tips and warnings
- Because cupcakes are currently so popular, a wide variety of cupcake wrappers, liners and toppers are available in stores and online. Use religious-themed cupcake wrappers and toppers to complement your decorations.
- Do not attempt to decorate cupcakes while they are still warm. The icing will melt off the cupcakes. Instead, wait until the cupcakes have cooled to room temperature before frosting and decorating them.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for