Lights and tulle can be used together in various ways to create a beautiful and elegant look. Often, tulle is associated with wedding decorations. However, it can be used as a way to decorate rooms in the home. Cottages provide the ideal backdrop for creating unique and innovative decorations consisting of small fairy lights and tulle, a fine netting. The tulle softens the look of the fairy light wire and turns an ordinary string of white fairy lights into an elegant lighting display. Turn your cottage home into a whimsical. cosy space.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Fairy lights
- 2 curtain ties, pieces of wire or pieces of fabric
- Sticky tape
- Bamboo or cane
- Strong glue
- Measuring tape
- Electric drill
- Picture hooks
Lay a string of white fairy lights on the floor. Cut a strip of tulle three times longer than the fairy lights and place it next to the lights. Put the fairy lights onto the tulle.
Join one end of the tulle to the end of the fairy lights and tie together using a piece of fabric, a curtain tie or a piece of wire.
Wrap the tulle around the fairy lights tightly and continue along the length of the lights. Once you reach the other end, use another piece of wire, fabric or curtain tie to secure the tulle in place.
Attach the wrapped string of fairy lights to the banisters of the stairs, use it as a border for a mirror or fireplace or drape it across the walls of the sitting room. It can be secured in place using sticky tape -- strong enough to hold it but easy for the lights to be taken down and moved at any stage.
Create Elegant String Lights
Cut a piece of tulle large enough to cover an expanse of wall. You could choose to cover the wall next to a bed or an area of wall behind a sofa or other large piece of furniture.
Cut a piece of cane or bamboo (available from the hardware store) so it is the same length as the piece of fabric. Run glue along the bamboo in a straight line. Wrap 1 inch of curtain over the bamboo so it glues into place.
Drill small holes in the bamboo at 20-inch intervals and attach picture hooks. These will be used to attach the tulle to the ceiling.
Place the tulle curtain up to the ceiling where you want to create the backdrop. Mark on the ceiling the places where the picture hooks touch. Drill small holes in the ceiling where the marks are and attach more picture hooks and hook the curtain on.
Plug a string of lights into a nearby socket and arrange the lights behind the curtain, attaching the wire to the wall using sticky tape so the arrangement can be altered at a later date. Turn on the lights to see the effect and alter as necessary to create a beautiful look.
Create a Soft Curtain to Use as a Backdrop
Tips and warnings
- Experiment with different colours of tulle to create the right look for the room.
- Use different types of fairy lights to create interest in the room. Fairy lights that hang as a curtain can be used as an attractive backdrop, as can lights arranged as a net.
- Too many fairy lights in the home can make it look a little childish or like a student's dorm. Use lights sparingly to complement your existing decoration.
- Do not use lights that emit a lot of heat near or in fabric. Always be careful of potential fire hazards.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for