Unique and thoughtful, homemade cards are almost always appreciated by their recipients. While a simple, rectangular or square-shaped homemade card can be lovely, cards that are shaped like unusual items, such as animals, are particularly special. If the recipient of your card appreciates giraffes, you may consider creating a giraffe-shaped card.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- 2 sheets card stock paper
- Sheet of ordinary printer paper
- Printable image of giraffe
- Small brad
- Craft knife or scissors
- Cutting mat
- Coloured pencils
Select an image of a giraffe that you would like to use as a reference for your card. Print out the image on your home printer, on a sheet of ordinary printer paper.
Place the giraffe image onto your cutting mat. Using your scissors or craft knife, cut the image of the giraffe out of the paper, following the outline of the animal. You have now created a pattern for your giraffe-shaped card.
Place a sheet of card stock paper onto your cutting mat. Lay the giraffe pattern on top of the card stock.
Trace the outline of the giraffe onto your card stock with your pencil. Then, cut the traced shape out of the card stock, using your craft knife or scissors.
Repeat steps 3 and 4 to create a second giraffe out of card stock. Erase the pencil lines from both giraffe-shapes.
Select one giraffe shape, and draw the animal's eyes, nose, mouth, ears and spots, if desired, using your coloured pencils. Use your original giraffe pattern as a reference.
Layer your two giraffe shapes on top of each other, with the coloured giraffe shape positioned on top of the blank one. Carefully align the two shapes.
Hold your giraffe layers together, and select a needle to use as a guide for the brad, which will hold the layers together. Insert the needle through both layers of card stock, in the location from which you prefer your card to swivel.
Insert the brad through the front of the card, following the guide hole created in step 8. Turn the card over, and flatten out the two prongs of the brad, in order to keep the brad in place.
Fill out the inside of the card using your desired wording.
Tips and warnings
- For the most effective card, choose a picture of a giraffe that features the animal in an easily recognisable position, such as one that shows the long neck of the animal stretched up and out.
- Cutting mats are only necessary for this project when using cutting knives. If you are using scissors rather than a cutting knife, you will not need a cutting mat.
- If you would prefer a sleek look for your card, you may opt not to draw in the details of the giraffe's features.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for