You don't have to live near the coast to enjoy a nautical scene. Instead you can have fun creating one in your backyard. The trick to a successful nautical scene is not to go overboard on the ornaments and nautical-themed paraphernalia, although a few small touches here and there can work well. You don't have to spend a fortune creating the scene either --- one of the simplest yet most effective ideas is to place some pebbles in an area of the garden to replicate a beach and scatter some sea shells on top.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Large shells, pebbles and driftwood
- Fence posts
- Nautical themed containers and pots
- Plants, flowers and bushes
- Anchor or boat hull
Use large shells, pebbles or even driftwood to edge the borders of your flower beds. Often rocks or wooden planks are used to edge around beds and borders in the back yard, but for a special nautical theme use material you would find at the beach.
Purchase nautically inspired containers and plant with brightly coloured flowers. Giant clam shells look wonderful when filled with brightly coloured stems. A wooden treasure chest works just as well too. Other nautical containers that will look good are ceramic pots in the shape of fish, or even plain flowerpots adorned with sea shells.
Erect some rope fencing around the garden strung between wooden posts, replicating the deck of a sailboat or a dock where sailboats are moored. Rope fencing is an attractive way to mark off an area of the yard, or create a boundary.
String a hammock up between two trees. Not only does a hammock provide a relaxed and laid-back vibe to your nautical landscape, but it also provides the perfect place in which to sit to enjoy your newly designed yard.
Create a nautical focal point with a large object such as an anchor or even a small boat hull. You can place the nautical object onto a bed of gravel or pebbles to replicate sand.
Tips and warnings
- Bunting also adds a nautical flavour and a touch of colour too. String bunting between wooden posts for a beautiful effect.
- Make sure there is a good amount of plants, bushes and shrubs present in your nautically themed yard so it doesn't end up looking like a scrap yard.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for