Regular treatments with virgin coconut oil can encourage thicker hair growth while restoring lustre and shine to dry, brittle and damaged hair. According to a 2003 study in the "Journal of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists", coconut oil strengthens the hair by reducing protein loss when applied topically. Virgin coconut oil undergoes less processing than regular coconut oil, and may be more effective at improving hair growth by adding moisture and reducing split ends. Treat your hair with virgin coconut oil at least once a week for maximum results.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Wide tooth comb
- Jar virgin coconut oil
- Plastic shower cap
Wash your hair with shampoo and lightly towel dry until only slightly damp. Comb any tangles out of your hair with a wide tooth comb.
Scoop out a quarter-sized amount of virgin coconut oil from the jar. Rub the oil between your palms until the heat from your hands emulsifies the oil.
Run your hands through your hair until it is evenly saturated with the oil. Cover your hair with the plastic shower cap.
Leave the oil on your hair for an hour. Remove the shower cap and rinse your hair thoroughly. Shampoo your hair once again to remove all oil residue. Rinse the shampoo from your hair and dry and style as usual.
Tips and warnings
- Massage a dime-sized amount of virgin coconut oil onto your hair and scalp and leave overnight to improve hair growth and thickness.
- Comb a few drops of virgin coconut oil through freshly dried hair for added shine.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for