When eating a fine dining establishment it's easy to fall in love with the beauty of the food as well as the taste. Presentation is a major aspect of fine dining and the extra time to organise a plate to look just as appetizing as it tastes will surely impress your guests. When plating with a sauce it's important not to use it to cover up your meal, remember sauce is a flavour accent and is rarely the star of the plate. Using proper sauce plating technique will ensure your meal looks stunning and the best part is its very easy.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Piece of paper
- Clean dry rag or paper towel
Draw a circle on a piece of paper to represent a plate. Organise the components of your dish by drawing a rough sketch of them onto the plate, this will help conceptualise the look and organisation of your plate. Make any changes if necessary.
Sauce the plate using a clean table spoon right where the meat, fish or protein will get plated. Spread the sauce with the table spoon to the desired shape, usually a circle or oval. Clean up the edges of the sauce or any drips on the plate with clean dry rag or paper towel.
Gently place the protein in the centre of the plated sauce, this will preserve the crunchy crust, aesthetic of the protein and the sauce will still be visible.
Build the side components, like the starch and vegetables, around the protein. Leave a portion of the sauce uncovered so that it remains visible.
Tips and warnings
- Using a spoon will give you better control over spreading that sauce than using a ladle.
- If you're placing the protein or star component of the dish in the centre make sure you spread the sauce widely so that it is still visible to the guests with all the components on the dish.
- Professional chefs hardly ever coat their star component with sauce because it will ruin the crust or hide beautiful char lines.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for