How To: Vinyl Letters on Wood

Updated March 23, 2017

Vinyl letters can attach to wood to make signs and plaques. You can also attach vinyl numbers and letters to your wood siding or columns for house numbers or names that can be seen from the street. Vinyl letters and numbers are available for purchase from a craft store. You can also use a vinyl-cutting machine to cut letters in your chosen font and size.

Use sandpaper to smooth your wood. If you are applying vinyl to wood siding or a column that is already painted, clean the surface with a wood cleaner.

Paint or stain the wood to your desired finish. Allow the paint or stain to dry thoroughly.

Peel the vinyl letters from the protective backing. Remove the grid backing from the transfer tape; lay the transfer tape, sticky side up, over the grid aligning the edges.

Place the vinyl sticky side up onto the transfer tape, using the grid for spacing and to make sure the letters are straight.

Pick the transfer tape up by the edges; place the tape onto the wood, sticky side down. Use a craft stick to rub the vinyl letters onto the wood. Use firm pressure to make sure the vinyl letters adhere well.

Slowly pull the transfer tape off of the wood. If the vinyl letters stick to the tape, rub the vinyl letter hard with the craft stick to adhere the vinyl to the wood.

Use the craft stick to smooth any bubbles out of the vinyl letters.

Things You'll Need

  • Sandpaper
  • Wood cleaner
  • Rag
  • Wood
  • Paint or stain
  • Paintbrush
  • Self-adhesive vinyl letters
  • Transfer tape
  • Wooden craft stick
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Based in Lakeland, FL., Heather Montgomery has been writing a popular celebrity parenting blog and several parenting and relationship articles since 2011. Her work also appears on eHow and Everyday Family and she focuses her writing on topics about parenting, crafts, education and family relationships. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Science in early education from Fort Hays State University.