Bed bugs were recorded in history as early as the 1600s. In the United States, the use of powerful pesticides has helped to limit numbers greatly. According to the Bed Bug website, bed bug infestations have grown in significance in the last decade. More exterminators are using bug traps and baits that are effective for other household pests but not for bed bugs. There are natural methods to help rid your home of bed bugs.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Washer and dryer
- Plastic bag
- Moth balls
- Vacuum cleaner with bag
- Rubbing alcohol
- Spray bottle
Check to make sure you are dealing with bed bugs by leaving double-sided tape out along walls and beside beds. Check in the morning to see if bed bugs are stuck to the tape.
Remove all bedding from beds. Make sure bedding is kept contained -- you don't want to let the bedding get shaken out, releasing the bugs. Put it directly into the washer. Wash in hot water and dry in the hottest dryer temperature. Run the clothes dryer for more than 15 minutes, and place items in a plastic bag for a day to kill any remaining bed bugs.
Place a few mothballs in your vacuum cleaner bag. Vacuum each room of the home completely, paying special attention to cracks, crevices, furniture and mattresses. Dispose of vacuum cleaner bags immediately.
Mix 1 part rubbing alcohol and 1 part water in a spray bottle. Spray floors, beds and furniture, again saturating cracks and crevices where bugs are likely to hide.
Find a natural gardening store in your area. It should carry natural insecticides that will kill bed bugs without harming the environment.
Tips and warnings
- For serious infestations, closets and dressers might have to be emptied, and all clothes and linens laundered. Follow through by vacuuming drawers and shelves, and spraying down with water and alcohol.
- The best course of action is to call in a professional to help you get rid of bed bugs. Natural remedies are better used in between treatments instead of as a solitary method.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for