Fireworks add a burst of colour and excitement to celebrations, but they can also be very dangerous. Fireworks contain highly combustible material and there is a risk of burns and uncontrolled explosions. Firework safety doesn't end with the show -- proper disposal is an important part of using fireworks safely. Some local police and fire brigades have firework disposal services, but if you're doing it from home, it only takes a few simple steps to dispose of fireworks safely.
Do not touch spent, partially-spent or "dud" fireworks for at least 30 minutes after firing to allow time for them to cool down. Do not attempt to relight any of them.
Fill a large bucket with water from a garden hose or outdoor tap.
Submerge all spent, partially-spent and "dud" fireworks in the water and leave them to soak for 24 hours.
Put the soaked fireworks into a regular garbage bag, then put that into another garbage bag to prevent leaks.
Put the bags into your normal garbage bin.
Some municipalities can help you dispose of fireworks. Contact your local fire or police department and ask if they have safe firework disposal services. Sparklers remain hot long after being used so before disposal they can also be put in water or submerged in sand.
Fireworks are regulated by law in many places. Always check applicable laws before buying or using fireworks. Never attempt to burn partially-spent or misfired fireworks. Unused fireworks should be stored in a cool, dry place or returned to where they were bought.