Ground wasps are beneficial insects that pollinate plants as well as consume insect pests. They can, however, become pests when they build their nests in your lawn, garden or flower beds. Ground wasps can deliver many painful stings that can cause swelling, itching and anaphylactic shock in allergic individuals. If you discover ground wasps on your property, treat them immediately for the safety of your pets and family.
Find all of the ground wasp nests on your property during the day when wasps are least active. Search in rodent holes or tunnels in the ground where ground wasps like to nest, and mark each ground wasp nest you find with a garden flag.
Put on tight protective clothing to prevent wasp stings. Locate the flags marking the ground wasp nests after dark when wasps are least active.
Pour an insecticidal dust, like carbaryl, into each ground wasp nest tunnel you see. Dusts are more effective than liquid insecticides because liquids can soak into the soil and not always reach the nest.
Check the ground wasp nests the next day for activity. Repeat the insecticide treatment if wasps are still visible.
Seal the ground wasp nest holes with soil when you are sure there is no longer wasp activity in the nest. This will prevent future wasps from occupying the hole.
Do not attempt to treat ground wasps nests if you are allergic to wasp stings. Call a professional pest control agency to eliminate the nests.
Tips and warnings
- Do not attempt to treat ground wasps nests if you are allergic to wasp stings. Call a professional pest control agency to eliminate the nests.
Things you need
- Garden flags
- Insecticidal dust
- Protective clothing