How to Bulge in Photoshop

Updated February 21, 2017

In situations where "big is better," photographers may not have the resources, time or capability to "enlarge" their subject matter. With programs such as Adobe Photoshop, users may digitally manipulate images to add bulge where no bulge existed before. Use Photoshop's quick tools to win the battle of the bulge.

Open Photoshop and click "File." Click "Open." Go to the graphic with the image to bulge and double-click the name of the file, which opens on the Photoshop screen.

Click the "Lasso" tool, near the top of the "Tools" palette. Draw an outline around the part of the image to bulge. When dotted, blinking lines appear, right-click inside the selection and select "Layer via Copy."

Pull down the "Edit" menu. Click "Transform." Click "Warp." A grid of nine boxes appears, surrounding the outlined area.

Click and drag on a corner of one of the boxes, pulling it out toward the edges of the Photoshop workspace to bulge that part of the picture.

Press the "Enter" key to commit the bulge and remove the grid from the screen. Repeat the process to bulge other areas.

Click the "Window" menu at the top of the screen. Click "Layers" to show the "Layers" palette.

Click the lined icon at the top-right of the "Layers" palette and select "Flatten Image." Click the "File" menu. Click "Save As." Give the image a new name to protect the original non-bulged version and click the "Save" button

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Fionia LeChat is a technical writer whose major skill sets include the MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher), Photoshop, Paint, desktop publishing, design and graphics. LeChat has a Master of Science in technical writing, a Master of Arts in public relations and communications and a Bachelor of Arts in writing/English.