A cute idea for a custom cake at a bridal shower or wedding is a cake with a large fondant engagement ring as a topper. It is different from the traditional bride and groom toppers and can be made to look like the actual engagement ring. Do not go to a cake shop for this topper, instead make it at home with fondant and PVC pipe.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 1 1-by-18-inch PVC pipe
- Duct tape
- Baking tray
- Aluminium foil
- Quart-sized paint can
- Oven glove
- Drill with bits
- Gem paperweight
- Edible metallic paint
- Buttercream icing
Cut two lengths of twine at least 9 inches long. Place the twine into one end of the pipe and cap the end with duct tape, leaving at least 6 inches of twine out of the end.
Fill the pipe 3/4 full of sand, tap the end on the ground to compact the sand and insert the other piece of twine, and fill with sand to the top. Cap the other end with duct tape so no sand can get out.
Preheat the oven to 176 degrees C and place the pipe on an old baking tray covered with aluminium foil. Bake for eight to 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven with oven gloves and bend around the paint can using the twine to tie the shape in place. Allow the pipe to cool for about five to 10 minutes.
Make prongs for the ring with skewers and paint to match the finished colour of the ring. Use the drill to make holes in the curve of the pipe to insert the skewers into the pipe. Remove the skewers and cover the pipe with fondant.
Insert the skewers back into the pipe and use butter cream icing to "glue" the paperweight to the prongs of the ring. Paint the ring with the edible metallic paint and allow to dry.
Tips and warnings
- The topper will be heavy, when placing on the cake either screw the open ends of the ring into a wooden plate and decorate the plate, or press the ring several inches into the cake itself to hold the weight.
- Be careful when bending the pipe, the sand will be extremely hot. Make sure you use enough tape to hold the sand in the pipe until you are done.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for