How to Repair Thermostatic Radiator Valves

Updated February 21, 2017

Repairing a home heating radiator can be done by replacing the thermostatic radiator valve. The valve can wear out or burn out over time, preventing the radiator from heating the water properly. Replacing the radiator valve is done with a pipe wrench and some sealant. You can repair the thermostatic radiator valve yourself in about an hour or two.

Connect a garden hose to the drain valve of the radiator and place the other end in a tub or sink where you can drain the water safely. Shut off the water supply to the radiator.

Open the drain valve on the radiator and let the tank empty out. Close the drain valve when the tank is completely empty and detach the garden hose from the radiator.

Unfasten the thermostatic radiator valve from the radiator and the inlet pipe from the floor with a pipe wrench. Discard the old thermostatic radiator valve.

Remove the spud connection from the side of the radiator with a pipe wrench and apply new pipe sealant to the threads on the spud connection. Apply single-strand wicking around the threads and attach the spud connector to the radiator. Tighten the spud connector with the pipe wrench.

Apply pipe sealant and single-strand wicking to the inlet pipe threads and attach the new thermostatic radiator valve to the inlet pipe with the pipe wrench. Attach the thermostatic valve to the spud connector on the radiator with the pipe wrench.

Open the water supply valve to fill the radiator with water.


To avoid burns, be careful of the hot water when draining the radiator to repair the thermostatic radiator valve.

Things You'll Need

  • Garden hose
  • Pipe wrench
  • Pipe sealant
  • Single-strand wicking
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Carl Pruit has been a freelance writer since 2005, specializing in service journalism and travel. His work has appeared on various websites. Born and raised in California, Pruit attended Contra Costa Community College in San Pablo, Calif. and received an associate degree in the administration of justice.