When planning a garden wedding, you want the setting to be as beautiful as possible. Wedding arbors provide a gorgeous centrepiece for outdoor weddings, as they give couples a unifying frame for their ceremony and photos. However, the effect can fall flat if the trellis isn't garnished to suit the rest of the decor. Avoid this by adding a spectacular flower arrangement to the apex of the arch, wiring the flowers over the arbor to make it seem as though they are floating above you.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Decorative greenery
- Tape measure
- Green floral wire
- Natural or artificial flowers
- Floral foam
- Heavy floral wire
Select greenery to act as a base for your floral arrangement. If your wedding arbor is sizeable, use greenery that will cover a large amount of space without looking fussy. Good options for this type of arbor are magnolia leaves and evergreen boughs. If you are using a small trellis, delicate greenery such as ivy is more appropriate.
Measure the plateau of the arbor and arrange the greenery into a symmetrical spray slightly larger than the measurement you took. Keep the cut edges of the branches in the centre of the arrangement. The ends of the greenery should cascade naturally off the front and sides of the arch, so cut the boughs with this in mind. Wire the boughs together with the floral wire when you are happy with the greenery's appearance, connecting all the branches to one another. Use as much wire as the spray needs to keep it secure, as it will be invisible on top of the arbor.
Arrange the flowers into a spread on top of your greenery, keeping the blossoms facing out. To add height to the arrangement, wire a block of floral foam onto the greenery and stick the flower's stems into the foam. Not only will this make the flowers more visible to your guests, but it will also allow you to create more shapes and layers with your arrangement. Secure the flowers and greenery together with the floral wire.
Place the floral arrangement on top of the arbor and connect using heavy floral wire. Be thorough when attaching the two so the flowers do not blow away with the breeze. Spruce up the arrangement with versatile artificial flowers such as baby's breath or wisteria to give it a fuller look.
Tips and warnings
- In addition to the flower arrangement, many couples decide to further decorate their wedding arbor with tulle, ribbon, white lights or waterfall crystals for an elegant effect.
- To add a bit of continuity to your wedding's appearance, try arranging the flowers into small bouquets to mirror the flowers held by the bride.
- If you are intending to create the arrangement ahead of time, opt for artificial flowers and greenery so that you can attend to other wedding planning closer to the day.
- If you've decided to use fresh flowers for your arrangement, attach an encapsulated water source to each stem to ensure that they won't dry out before your ceremony.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for