The RoadMate 1200 is a vehicle navigation GPS unit manufactured by Magellan. The unit features a 3.5-inch colour screen and 1.3 million pre-loaded points of interest. This GPS unit provides functional portability with a list price of about £58 in March 2011. The RoadMate 1200 software and map data can be upgraded when Magellan releases new updates for these software items.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Personal Computer With Windows XP, Vista or 7
- Compatible USB Cable
Download and install the Magellan Content Manager software from the Magellan website onto your Windows computer. A link for the software download page is provided in the Resources.
Start the Magellan Content Manager Software and complete the registration information, setting up a free account at magellangps.com. The software will step you through the registration process.
Connect the unpowered RoadMate 1200 unit to the computer using the USB/mini-USB cable.
Turn on the RoadMate 1200. The GPS screen should show the unit is in the GPS mode and the content manager software will see the RoadMate 1200 and ask you to step through the process of adding the unit to your magellangps.com account.
Complete the unit registration steps and wait for the content manager software to cycle the RoadMate 1200 off and back on to complete and verify the registration. When the RoadMate 1200 re-powers, the content manager software will notify you of any updates available for your unit.
Select the software and map updates you would like to install on your RoadMate 1200 and allow the content manager to load the updates into your GPS unit. The content manager software will notify on the computer screen when the installations are complete.
Disconnect your RoadMate 1200 from the computer by unplugging the USB cable. The GPS unit will then go through an internal update system to complete the installation of your updates. Do not turn off the RoadMate 1200 until all updating is complete.
Tips and warnings
- The Magellan website has a page which shows all of the available downloads for your RoadMate 1200. The page link is provided in the Resources.
- The Magellan Content Manager will ask you if you want to back up your address book and software onto the computer; this backup would be valuable if there were any problems with your RoadMate 1200.
- The RoadMate 1200 must be powered on during the entire update process. Make sure the batteries are fresh and the USB cable securely connected.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for