Oatmeal soothes your skin and helps to reduce itching, burning and inflammation. Make your own lotion with oatmeal to use for dry skin, itching, flaking and minor sunburn. Making your own lotion allows you to choose all the ingredients, avoiding synthetic fragrances and colours as well as preservatives and sulphates that are included in commercial lotions.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1/2 cup finely ground oatmeal
- 2 cups distilled water
- Saucepan with lid
- Fine strainer
- Glass or stainless steel mixing bowl
- Small saucepan
- Metal spoon
- 3/4 cup olive, almond or jojoba oil
- 2 tbsp shea butter
- 2 tbsp grated beeswax
- 1 tsp grapefruit seed extract
Add the oatmeal to the water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain the infusion through a fine strainer into a mixing bowl. Discard the solids.
Heat the oil, shea butter and beeswax over low heat in a small saucepan, stirring with a metal spoon until the beeswax is melted and the ingredients are completely combined. Remove from the heat.
Pour the oil mixture into the oatmeal infusion, stirring constantly until the two mixtures are combined.
Add the grapefruit seed extract and begin blending with the immersion blender. Keep blending until the mixture cools and is thick and creamy. Pour it into the prepared containers.
Tips and warnings
- Add 1 tsp of essential oil for fragrance when you add the grapefruit seed extract. Add 1 or 2 tsp of aloe vera, glycerine or honey if you like. Melt the honey with the oil and beeswax. Add the aloe vera and glycerine with the essential oil and grapefruit seed extract.
- This lotion doesn't have synthetic preservatives, which give lotion a longer shelf life. Make small batches, use very clean equipment and wash the lotion container in hot soapy water, rinsing thoroughly. Keep the lotion in the refrigerator when not in use.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for